You start this Hermione Sweet Sourdough Date Loaf the evening before you want to eat it. By letting flour, evaporated milk and a bit of starter rise overnight, you end up with an unusual texture in the finished product.
It’s quite different than any other quick bread. It’s got more substance. Maybe it’s the wee bit of oatmeal?
Read on for the recipe. Find the Hermione Sweet Sourdough Starter recipe here. Follow along for other recipes for this starter including Cinnamon Rolls, Strudel, Pancakes and Waffles, Banana Bread, Apple Coffee Cake, Cinnamon Orange Date Muffins, Biscuits, No-Knead Bread and Chocolate Cake.
Hermione Sweet Sourdough Date Loaf
Time Alert: You start this the night before you want to make it. On the day you make it, it takes about 15 minutes to pull together and 45 minutes to bake for a total of 60 minutes.
Yield: 1 large loaf
Equipment: Stand Mixer and a large loaf tin
- ½ cup starter
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk (Tip: this is something I always keep in my pantry. It’s good for chowders in a pinch)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- The night before you want to make this: Combine the starter, flour and evaporated milk. Cover and leave overnight at room temperature.
- Next day: Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until fluffy. Add the dates and nuts mix in on slow speed. Set aside.
- Combine the eggs, oats, baking powder, soda and salt then stir into sourdough mixture, then pour that into the mixer and stir on low to combine.
- Turn into a loaf pan and let the bread rise for about 1 hour.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.