My sister reminded me that our family also called these Hermione Sweet Sourdough Biscuits as “Monster Muffins”. We loved the fact that Mom had a “monstrous” glob of starter that she had to feed in the back of our fridge.
She also reminded me that while the recipe calls for rolling out the biscuits, Mom just cut up some cheese, added it into the dough and then dropped it by the Tablespoon onto a baking sheet. They were pretty fantastic as drop biscuits or shall we say “Monster droppings.”
The recipe follows. Find the Hermione Sweet Sourdough Starter recipe here. Follow along for other recipes for this starter including Cinnamon Rolls, Strudel, Pancakes and Waffles, Banana Bread, Apple Coffee Cake, Cinnamon Orange Date Muffins, Date Loaf, No-Knead Bread and Chocolate Cake.
Hermione Sweet Sourdough Biscuits
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 large biscuits
Equipment: bowl, measuring cups, parchment paper and a baking sheet
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sourdough
- ½ cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and stir in the sourdough and melted butter until the mix leaves the side of the bowl.
- Turn the batter out on a floured surface and knead about 10 times.
- Roll the dough into a flat square about 1-inch thick.
- Cut the dough into biscuits and transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Alternatively – you can mix the dough and – without kneading it – drop it by the Tablespoon directly onto the parchment.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Variations: Cut up pieces of your favourite cheese and add them to the batter and/or add 1 teaspoon of chopped herbs and/or 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper.