These Hermione Sweet Sourdough Cinnamon Orange Date Muffins will hit the spot for breakfast, brunch or a take-along snack anytime. Bonus: they whip together quickly.
The recipe follows. Find the Hermione Sweet Sourdough Starter recipe here. Follow along for other recipes for this starter including Cinnamon Rolls, Strudel, Pancakes and Waffles, Banana Bread, Apple Coffee Cake, Date Loaf, Chocolate Cake and Sourdough Biscuits and Bread.
Hermione Sweet Sourdough Cinnamon Orange Date Muffins
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 large or 24 mini muffins
Equipment: bowls and a muffin tin
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup sourdough starter
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 teaspoons micro-planed orange zest (zest of one large orange)
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ and grease the cups of a muffin tin with butter.
- Combine the flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir to mix well. Make a well in the center.
- Beat the egg in another bowl and then stir in the sourdough starter, vegetable oil, milk, orange zest and dates. Add this mixture to the well in the center of the dry ingredients bowl.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients just until moistened. Tip: Do not over mix or you’ll have tough muffins. The batter may have a few lumps.
- Spoon the mixture into buttered muffin tins, filling them two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pans, then remove to cool on a wire rack.
Darlene! So great to hear from you. I miss you and Gil. I just looked you up and low and behold you are in Olds! Let’s get together sometime when “the siege” is over. Big hugs and thanks for baking with me. Karen