This Hermione Sweet Sourdough Banana Bread is loaded with pecans and sweetened with honey. The honey gives it its golden glow. The sourdough gives the bread a lift in texture and in size. And, those whole pecan halves? They elevate the recipe from just another banana bread to your new favourite banana bread.
Read on for the recipe. Find the Hermione Sweet Sourdough Starter recipe here. Looking for more sweet sourdough recipes? Check out these: Cinnamon Rolls, Strudel, Chocolate Cake, Cinnamon Orange Date Muffins, Date Loaf, Apple Coffee Cake, Sourdough Pancakes and Waffles, and Sourdough Bread and Biscuits.
Hermione Sweet Sourdough Banana Bread
Time: 80 minutes
Yield: One large loaf
Equipment: Stand mixer, loaf tin
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup Hermione Sweet Sourdough Starter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole pecan halves plus a few more for decorating the top
- Preheat the oven to 325℉. Tip: You cook it at a lower temperature because of the honey. Cooking honey at higher temperatures may lead it to be browner than you would like.
- Place the butter and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until creamy and fluffy. Add the egg and beat again until smooth.
- Stir in the banana and sourdough starter on low speed.
- Sift the flours with the baking powder, soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the first mixture in the stand mixer and beat on low speed just until blended. Stir in the pecans by hand.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy as a snack, for breakfast or as a lunchbox or hiking trail treat.