This Hermione Sweet Sourdough Strudel could become your new “go-to” dessert. With your sweet sourdough starter in the refrigerator and a can of pie filling in the pantry, this comes together in a snap. You are in a bonus situation if you’ve got whipping cream or ice cream in the house.
Read on for this recipe. Click here for the Hermione Sweet Sourdough Starter recipe. Follow along for all the recipes like cinnamon rolls, chocolate cake, Pancakes and Waffles, Banana Bread, date loaf, Apple Coffee Cake and sourdough bread.
Hermione Sweet Sourdough Strudel
Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 large squares or 24 dainty squares
Equipment: 9×13-inch pan
For the cake:
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sunflower or other neutral tasting vegetable oil
- 1 cup sourdough
For the filling:
- 1 can cherry or apple pie filling, rhubarb and strawberry or blueberry compote
For the Topping:
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and grease the baking pan with butter.
- Place the flour, baking soda, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and add the oil and sourdough. Beat on slow until thoroughly mixed.
- Press the mixture into a 9×13-inch pan and spread with the topping.
- Use your fingers to combine the topping flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl and then sprinkle evenly over the fruit topping.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top and cooked through on the bottom.