Sunday mornings growing up were a big deal for my family. It was the only time that the six of us had breakfast together. And, we had to wait to eat that breakfast until after church! We were hungry. Sunday mornings were the only time we had bacon and eggs. And sometimes, if we were really lucky, Mom made these Hermione Sweet Sourdough Pancakes and Waffles too.
There’s a touch of vanilla in this light and fluffy batter. It smooths everything in its path and rounds out all the flavour notes. I threw some frozen wild New Brunswick blueberries in the batter today but bananas and walnuts, cinnamon, peaches and pecans or bacon and apples would all be great.
Read on for the recipe and find the Hermione Sweet Sourdough Starter recipe here. Follow along for other recipes for this starter including Cinnamon Rolls, Strudel, Apple Coffee Cake, Banana Bread, Date Loaf, Cinnamon Orange Date Muffins, Sourdough Biscuits and Bread.
Hermione Sweet Sourdough Pancakes and Waffles
Time: 20 – 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Equipment: griddle or waffle maker
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sourdough
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup sunflower or other neutral tasting vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Heat a griddle or waffle maker and grease with melted butter or cooking spray.
- Whisk the eggs, sourdough, vanilla, milk and oil in a large bowl until smooth and then gradually whisk in the flour, baking soda and powder.
- Pour the batter according to the size of pancakes or waffles you’d like.
- Leave the pancakes on the griddle until bubbles form and the bottom is brown. Flip and cook until done. Or, remove waffles once cooked in your waffle maker. Tip: these are excellent with the addition of blueberries, or bananas and nuts, bacon and apple – have fun!
- Enjoy with real Canadian maple syrup and a side of bacon.