I’m trying to remember when I first started making these White Beans Italiano. Maybe it was after a trip to Italy. Maybe I came home and tried to emulate some I had at a restaurant. I’m not sure. But, I do know these are a staple in my home and they have been for a very long time. They’re a quick and easy side dish. Or, they’re a satisfying appetizer that I like equally well, hot or cold.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I hope they help you savour it all.Print
White Beans Italiano
I often cook these soft and creamy white cannellini beans as a side to steaks and hope for leftovers to use as a dip another day. Their mild flavour and fluffy texture are enhanced by the caramelized onions and hint of rosemary and garlic. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, sliced in rings or cut in half and sliced across
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon rosemary (fresh or dried), minced
2 cans white cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat a skillet on medium high and add the olive oil followed by the onions.
- Cover with a lid and “sweat” the onions, allowing them to cook until golden brown (caramelized) – approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and rosemary and cook until the garlic is softened and the rosemary is fragrant.
- Stir in the beans, mashing them a bit, until thoroughly combined with the onions and heated through.
- Enjoy as a side with grilled meats or as a warm or cold dip with pita chips or crudités (that’s a fancy French word for veggies).
Keywords: White Beans Italiano