This recipe for Zippy Cauliflower Wings is another recipe inspired by entrepreneur Nada Choufi. Nada’s company, Mother May I Bake, produces four kinds of hummus – beet, sweet potato, spicy Sriracha and plain – here in Calgary. She uses chickpeas from the Canadian Prairies and local root vegetables.
Until I met Nada, I had only ever eaten hummus chilled, as a dip. Now, she has me trying it all kinds of fun ways and this recipe is one of the funnest. I love that it’s vegan. I’m not vegan. But, I like to eat that way more and more.
I’ve tested this Zippy Cauliflower Wings recipe a few times now. And, good news, no matter what size cauliflower I used, the tub of hummus always provided enough coverage. The Za’atar (rhymes with matter) I’ve added is a spice blend from the Middle East. It’s loaded with cumin, thyme, coriander, sesame seeds and sumac. I used it here to ground the recipe and provide balance. Otherwise, with the chilli flakes, it would be all heat climbing up your face until you feel like a rocket ready for take off!
Woohoo! That’s why I call this recipe Zippy. Hope you’ll try it and savour it all™.
Note: This is NOT a sponsored post. I bought this hummus myself and wrote about Nada Choufi because I’m on a perpetual quest to support Food Artisans of Alberta.Print
Zippy Cauliflower Wings
This four ingredient recipe comes together in a jiffy. Serve it with cool Tzatziki or, if you can take the heat, your favourite hot sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings as an appetizer
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 (300 gram) tub plain hummus (I used Mother May I Bake)
1 to 2 teaspoons Za’atar
1 teaspoon chilli flakes (plus more for garnish – if you like)
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the cauliflower florets in a large bowl, add the hummus, Za’atar and chili flakes and use your hands to thoroughly coat the cauliflower.
- Spread the cauliflower over the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Enjoy with your favourite dipping sauce. I like cool Tzatziki but my family likes hot sauce!
Keywords: Zippy Cauliflower Wings