My son’s girlfriend is vegan. She came to visit for the first time so I wanted to make something delicious to welcome her. And, that is how this Vegan Mushroom Filo Pie came to be.
I remembered making something like it from Linda’s Kitchen many years ago. The Linda of Linda’s Kitchen was Beatle Paul McCartney’s love of his life and first wife. She was an amazing vegetarian cook, artist, mother and person. It was easy to adapt her yummy recipe from vegetarian to vegan with the use of coconut milk and olive oil instead of cream and butter.
This recipe is a keeper. Hopefully, for my son, the girlfriend is too.Print
Vegan Mushroom Filo Pie
Scented with tarragon and bursting with the umami only a great mix of mushrooms can deliver, this Vegan Mushroom Filo Pie is delectable.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Vegan
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
1 small sweet white onion, diced
3 Tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for the pastry) (divided)
1½ lbs mixed mushrooms, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup chopped parsley
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
⅓ cup coconut cream
1 cup cooked rice (preferably basmati or a brown and wild rice mixture)
6 sheets filo pastry
- Heat a Tablespoon of the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat and add the onions cooking until softened – about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, cover with a lid and cook until the moisture evaporates.
- Stir in the garlic and herbs and cook until fragrant – about a minute. Then, add the coconut cream followed by the rice. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400℉.
- Remove 6 sheets of pastry from the package (only do this once the filling is completely cool and remove them one at a time, covering between each to prevent drying).
- Use a pastry brush to slather each piece of filo with olive oil. Pile them one on the other at different angles over a large pie plate or ovenproof shallow casserole dish.
- Pour the cooled mushroom mix into the pie as a filling and fold the ends up around the filling. Brush more olive oil on top as needed.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Enjoy cut in wedges with a crisp salad and a ratatouille or eggplant sautéed in tomato sauce if you like.
More and more people are enjoying a plant-based diet. It’s nice to have a vegan main you can serve that everyone at the table will enjoy.
Keywords: Vegan Mushroom Filo Pie