I love having a powerful blender to make this Creamy (No Cream) Asparagus Soup every year when the local asparagus season rolls around. A few potatoes thrown into the soup, will give it a creamy texture when pureed. And how do I get the asparagus to retain its bright green colour?
Read on to discover the trick that my favourite asparagus grower, Elna Edgar of Edgar Farms showed me. And for a hugely frugal tip: instead of buying the bundles of perfectly sized and shaped asparagus, when I want to stock up on this soup for the freezer, I buy the bags of odds and sods for a fraction of the price. Still one more tip – because there’s no cream in the soup, it freezes beautifully and is a breath of spring air during our long cold Canadian winters.Print
CREAMY (NO CREAM) ASPARAGUS SOUP
Adding potatoes while cooking gives this asparagus soup a creamy texture once pureed.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 bowls
- Category: Soups
- Method: Puree
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Diet: Vegetarian
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon butter (if you want to make this vegan use more olive oil instead of the butter)
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
4 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 bunch asparagus, washed and chopped in 2-inch pieces (save a few tips for garnish)
1 small head of romaine lettuce
Salt and pepper – to taste
Chive flowers or other edible flowers (optional) for garnish
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add the oil and butter followed by the onion and celery and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and leave for about one minute the add the broth and potatoes. Cover with a lid and cook until the potatoes are tender – about 15 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, cover and steam for about 5 minutes before adding the romaine lettuce (this is the secret ingredient that keeps your soup a bright green!) and steaming for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the soup pot to a Vita-Mix or other high power blender and puree until smooth.
- Return to the soup pot, add the salt and pepper to taste and reheat.
- Enjoy garnished with a few of the asparagus tips you saved and some chive blossoms or other edible flowers (if available).
This soup freezes beautifully.
Equipment: Soup Pot, knife, cutting board, Vita-Mix or other powerful blender
Keywords: pureed soups