This recipe for Five Bean Pork and Beans is a super hero recipe and by that I mean it’s super easy. Why? Because, all you need is five different cans of beans, some bacon or leftover pork, a few other flavour makers and a slow cooker. Essentially, you throw everything in the crockpot and forget about it for the day.
You could serve this as a side at a big summer barbecue or take it to a neighbourhood potluck. It’s also great on it’s own as the main meal with a hearty chunk of whole grain or cornbread. Add some coleslaw or salad and your work here is done. Read on for the recipe.Print
Five Bean Pork and Beans
An easy slow cooker recipe that makes a great main or side dish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours in a slow cooker
- Total Time: 11 minute
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Beans
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Romano beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup tomato juice or tomato sauce
- ¼ cup chilli sauce
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup fancy molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup bacon bits or up to 4 cups of leftover pulled pork
- grated cheddar, a few avocado slices and cilantro pieces for garnish
- Place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and give them a good stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, stirring only every few hours.
- Serve in bowls topped with a bit of cheddar, avocado and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy as a side or as the main meal with a hearty bread or cornbread and a side salad.
If you’d like to use pulled pork, try this recipe.
Keywords: slow cooker meal