My family loved these Pulled Pork Canadiano Sandwiches. We made them after my big batch of Broek Pork Acres’ Pulled Pork earlier this week. That recipe is a great example of batch cooking. Making a lot on purpose!
Some people don’t like leftovers. But when you are able to take something leftover and use it as an ingredient to create something completely different, isn’t that akin to paying it forward in this everlasting meal we’ve all signed up for? To me, leftovers are just a busy cook paying themselves forward. Read on for the recipe.Print
Pulled Pork Canadiano Sandwich
You could call it a Pulled Pork Cubano Wannabe but Canadian Cheddar takes this sandwich out of the wannabe class and pulls it into a league of its own.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Panini Press or Grill
- Cuisine: Canadian
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon butter plus more butter for the bread (see below)
2 large onions, halved and sliced crosswise
4 cups leftover pulled pork
12 slices crusty bread or 6 panini, with one side of each piece buttered
2 cups shredded Canadian cheddar
3–4 Tablespoons spicy mayonnaise or mustard
Pickles of choice
1. Heat a skillet on low-medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. Once hot, add the onion slices, cover with a lid and cook on low-medium for about 20 minutes or until the onions are golden brown and caramelized. Check them at about 5 minutes and then about every 3 minutes during that time. Let them sweat it out!
2. Add the pulled pork to the onions and cook until heated through. Meanwhile heat a panini press on high or warm another skillet.
3. Assemble and cook each sandwich by placing a buttered side of one piece of bread on the grill, then brush it with some of the spicy mayo or mustard, load 1/6 of the meat and onion mixture on it plus 1/6 of the cheese, top this with another slice of the bread (buttered side up) and lock the press and cook for about one minute on high. Repeat for each sandwich.
4. Enjoy with your favourite pickle and some Never the Same Way Twice Coleslaw or a green salad.
Keywords: Pulled Pork Sandwich