This Cinnamon Apple Express Brekkie is my go-to when I’m in a hurry or if I need to regain some balance in my eating habits. Usually, I serve it open-faced in a big bowl but if I’m doing a breakfast buffet, it’s fun to spoon it into glasses for individual servings. Though I start out with all the ingredients separate, I quickly stir it so I get a taste of each element in every bite.
Apples are in season from early fall to the first berries of spring so they are the companion I seek for the recipe’s nuts and granola. Now that they make berry flavoured apple sauce though, go ahead and use your favourite berry flavour and substitute the corresponding fresh berry for the apple slices. Just because you need an express brekkie doesn’t mean you can’t have fun with it. Read on for the recipe.
Cinnamon Apple Express Brekkie
Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 serving – may be multiplied as desired
Equipment: knife, measuring cups, bowl and spoon
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 small unpeeled apple – cored and chopped
- ⅓ cup granola (or if you are being super healthy – bran buds)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons chopped pecans
- Arrange the cottage cheese, applesauce, chopped apple and granola in sections around a bowl and sprinkle the top with the cinnamon and pecans.
- Stir together just before eating.
- Enjoy with Eggs Del Sol and/or my Colossal Chicken Apple Turnovers.