Huge thanks going out to my niece Julija Rans for this Breakfast Nachos recipe inspiration. Julija’s favourite meal is breakfast and she really needs the energy because she’s an incredible athlete.
From playing varsity rugby at the University of New Brunswick to now coaching at the High School where she’s a calculus teacher, to snowboarding, walking her dogs, kayaking and doing yoga, Julija is always on the move. I love Instagram for the way it lets us stay in touch. And, I always look forward to her breakfast creation posts, Tik Tok moves and whatever adventures she’s having with her dogs in my beautiful home province of New Brunswick.
Read on for the recipe. This could be another great Mother’s Day breakfast in bed treat.
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 serving – multiply as needed
Equipment: knife, cutting board, baking sheet, parchment, small skillet and flipper
- 2 – 3 frozen hash browns
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 – 2 eggs
- 1 – 2 ounces Monterey Jack or cheese of your choice
- ¼ piece bell pepper, diced
- 1 – 2 green onions, diced
- ½ tomato, sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup salsa
- Preheat the oven to 425℉ and line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the hash browns on the parchment-lined baking sheet and place them in the oven. Set a timer for 10 minutes, flip them and set the timer to cook them 10 minutes more.
- Heat the skillet on medium heat and melt the butter. Add the eggs and scramble them with a fork. Cook until they are still a bit wet and set aside.
- Remove the hash browns from the oven, cut each in half and arrange them on the baking sheet. Top with the scrambled egg, cheese, bell pepper and green onion and return to the oven until the cheese melts – about 5 more minutes.
- Enjoy with avocado and tomato slices and salsa on the side.
Variations: other toppings could include black beans, corn niblets, sausage, bacon, red onion, berries (yes, berries!), pickled banana pepper or jalapeños. Use your imagination and have fun.