The recipe makes two Colossal Chicken Apple Turnovers. If you are having a lot of guests in for brunch cook both. If not, still make both at the same time, just freeze the extra one. Later, when you want to cook the frozen one, thaw it in the fridge overnight and pop it in the oven the day you want to entertain. You’ll be so pleased with yourself for cooking it forward.
Read on for the recipe. It’s a keeper.
Colossal Chicken Apple Turnovers
Time: 2 hours
Yield: 8 – 10 servings
Equipment: bowls, spoon, cutting board, knife, baking sheet, parchment, rack
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 cup uncooked bacon, chopped in to thick bits (or use Valbella Gourmet Meats bacon bits if you can get them)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground savoury
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Dash salt and pepper
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Mix ground chicken, bacon, onion, apples, mushrooms, savoury, thyme and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Divide the mix in half and form each half into a log about 4 to 5 inches wide and 2 inches high.
- Spread 2 sheets of parchment paper (the size of a cookie sheet) out on your counter and lay a sheet of puff pastry on each.
- Roll the pastry out to within a few inches of the parchment.
- Lay the meat mixture down the middle of each pastry piece.
- Cut the pastry in 1-inch wide strips from one end of the meat to the other.
- Wrap the end pieces up over the meat mix and then criss-cross the strips to create an overlapping lattice effect.
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg (not the turnover you are freezing).
- Cook the turnover on the parchment (with a few holes poked in it) on a rack on a cookie sheet in a 375°F oven for about 90 minutes.
- Enjoy with scrambled eggs and a fresh green or fruit salad.