I think these are the Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and I’ve had this recipe since 1983. I had just finished my nursing degree at Dalhousie University and was working at the IWK Sick Children’s Hospital and living with my dear friend Diane Bliss in Halifax. Diane grew up in Florenceville, New Brunswick and the recipe came from her Aunt Margie. This “Aunt” was not a blood relative but rather a beloved neighbour named Margaret McCain, of THE McCains. Margie was a woman known for her good taste and devotion to children and family.
The McCain clan did rather well with frozen French fried potatoes. They are rather big in orange juice. Diane had a fun summer job testing those yummy (addictive) Deep’n Delicious frozen sheet cakes in their corporate kitchens in Flo’ville. As wildly successful as Wallace and Harrison McCain made their company, I can only imagine how ever more exponential their success would have been if they’d added these Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies to their roster of offerings.
Anyway, I’m very grateful to Diane for making them for me all those years ago and for sharing the recipe. Thirty-five years later, they’re still my favourite. I hope you love them like I do. I truly think they are the best ever.Print
Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you like a chewy chocolate chip cookie, look no further, this is the cookie for you.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 48 small cookies 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 2/3 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces chocolate chips
- 48 chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 3 to 4 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy then stop and scrape down the sides of the mixer.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again until smooth and fluffy.
- Stir the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and then add to the mixer, beating until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the chocolate chips and beat until evenly distributed.
- Use the small cookie scoop to distribute the batter on the parchment-lined baking sheets and place a chocolate chunk on top of each cookie for extra deliciousness (OR spread the dough out on one large parchment-lined jelly roll pan if you want squares instead of cookies. HINT – this is fast and easy if you need a treat in a hurry).
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes then let cool on the pans.
- Enjoy with a big glass of milk.
Equipment: Stand mixer, spatula, measuring spoons and cups, parchment, 3 to 4 baking sheets, small cookie scoop
Keywords: Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
What’s in the top of those cookies Karen?
I remember your great baking from our grad house😊
Good point! I better add that to the recipe. I added a chocolate chunk to the top of each cookie. There’s chocolate chips inside and a chocolate chunk on top. So yummy! Thanks, K
I can’t wait to try these. Not sure they could be better than Grandma Wilkinson’s but I’m game to see!
Okay Tandi. That’s great. Let me know and I’ll love to try your Grandma’s recipe too. Chocolate chip cheers, Karen