Drunken Tofu Burritos. Are you asking what makes them drunken? It’s always fun to learn about what differentiates dishes in global cuisines. Burritos are always in wheat tortillas. If they are wrapped and handed to you, that’s a straight up burrito. If they are baked with a sauce and cheese over them, they are wet or drunken burritos. Enchiladas are also baked with a sauce but are folded differently and made exclusively of corn tortillas.
TMI? I may have just nerded-out over these Drunken Tofu Burritos but give them a try. They are filled with tofu that’s marinated in cumin, chilli powder and cinnamon. Then they’re cooked up with black beans, onion, bell pepper, zucchini and salsa. Wrapped in a hearty tortilla and topped off with more salsa and grated melty cheese and you’ve got a trip to Mexico without leaving your kitchen.
I like to serve them with my recipe for Never the Same Way Twice Coleslaw and I make sure it’s an extra zippy version. I also like a little guacamole with chips plus some tropical fruit like papaya in lime juice. Of course, a cerveza on the side completes the picture. Even if you are like me and favour the alcohol-free ones (they taste so good now!). That’s it. Now, you are ready for your next Meatless Monday.
Bonus Tip: Make the full recipe. Cook how many you’d like. Freeze the rest before cooking. They microwave in about 2 minutes and make a great breakfast or lunch.Print
Drunken Tofu Burritos
Cumin, chilli powder and cinnamon set the flavour tone for the tofu and black beans, onions, zucchini, bell peppers, corn and salsa make this one of the most satisfying Meatless Monday dishes you can make. Note – depending on the tortilla and cheese you choose, this can be a vegan meal.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Category: Dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- Diet: Vegetarian
1 (400 gram – 10.5 ounce) package extra firm organic tofu, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Tex Mex chilli powder
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons organic canola oil
1 cup red onion, diced
1 cup red pepper, diced
1 cup zucchini, diced
1 (398 ml – 14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup frozen corn niblets
1 – 2 cups salsa
1 cup grated Havarti, cheddar or Gouda
6 teaspoons fresh cilantro, finely cut
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ and spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the tofu, cumin, chilli powder, apple cider vinegar and cinnamon in a large bowl, stir and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large deep-sided fry pan and sauté the onion, red pepper, and zucchini until soft.
- Add the tofu spice mix and the beans, corn and ½ cup of the salsa and cook until heated through.
- Divide the mixture between 8 large tortillas, fold in the sides, pull the side closest to you over the filling and continue to roll it until it’s wrapped tightly. Place in a greased baking dish, seam side down. Repeat until all the burritos are wrapped.
- Spread the remaining salsa over the burritos and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden and the burritos are heated through.
- Enjoy with a garnish of fresh cilantro and sides like dirty rice, tortilla chips, guacamole, salsa, sour cream and Never the Same Way Twice Coleslaw.
Keywords: Drunken Tofu Burritos