This recipe for Cranberry Walnut Loaf with Orange Glaze delivers a moist fluffy cake. It’s packed with the tartness of the cranberries, the crispness of the walnuts and the sweet finish of the orange glaze. It makes me want to put the tea kettle on right now.
This time of year, fresh cranberries are readily available and I love to keep them on hand. They look great added to drinks. Or you can pop them into muffins or stuffings.
I know there are lots of cranberry bogs in Quebec and Nova Scotia and I’d love to see them one day. When I lived in Boston in the early 90s, my husband and I loved to drive to Cape Cod in the fall. It was less crowded, the leaves were in full colour and we’d see cranberry farmers harvesting the bright berries in freshly flooded bogs. I never eat a cranberry without being grateful for all the hard work that goes into bringing them to our table.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Cranberry Walnut Loaf with Orange Glaze. It’s great a great tea time treat and it’d be lovely for a holiday brunch too.Print
Cranberry Walnut Loaf with Orange Glaze
Fresh cranberries make this loaf pop! And, it tastes even better once the glaze is hardened and clinging to the cake. Yum.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 large loaf 1x
- Category: Tea Time Treats
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
- For the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon micro-planed orange zest
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup cream
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (I used the same orange I took the zest from)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- For the orange glaze:
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons micro-planed orange zest
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- additional long strands of orange zest for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar into a bowl and stir in the orange zest.
- Place the egg, milk, orange juice and melted butter in another bowl and whisk to combine then add to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the cranberries and walnuts and turn the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove and cool on a rack.
- Place the icing sugar, orange juice, zest and butter in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Set the loaf on a serving platter and drizzle the glaze over it. Decorate with additional (longer) strands of orange zest if desired.
Keywords: Cranberry Walnut Loaf with Orange Glaze