Fast, easy and delicious. This Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp fits all three criteria for becoming a go-to recipe in my kitchen. We’ve eaten it three times in the last few weeks and I made extra to freeze and enjoy later.
I’ve already gifted one of the frozen ones to a grieving family. The fact that it freezes well on top of all of the above knocks it out of the park in terms of return on cooking investment.
I hope you’ll try it and of course, it’s even better with a little local ice cream or gelato on top. Pictured here is Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk by Made by Marcus. I’ve also enjoyed it with Village Vanilla Bean and Gusto Gelato’s Pistachio flavour.
Note: This post is not sponsored. I just like these local ice cream companies.Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Easy to make, easy to freeze – great return on cooking investment.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 cups strawberries, cleaned, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup Overnight Rhubarb Sauce (see notes)
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup soft unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425F and butter a glass pie plate or small gratin pan.
- Add the strawberries and rhubarb to the pan and mix well.
- Combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in a bowl (use your hands, they work best) until the butter is worked through and you are left with a crumbly mixture.
- Spread the oats mixture evenly over the fruit and bake for 20 minutes or until the juices are bubbling and thick and syrupy and the oats are golden brown.
- Enjoy on its own or with a scoop of your favourite ice cream.
To make the Overnight Rhubarb Sauce – place 8 cups of sliced rhubarb in a saucepan and stir in 1 cup of cane sugar. Leave overnight. Bring the mixture to a simmer the next day and simmer until the liquids are thickened and syrupy (about 20 minutes). Turn off the heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Cool completely and store in the fridge or freeze.
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb crisp