Thanks going out to my bestie Shawnee Sax and her sister Tanis Moore for sharing this Overnight Rhubarb Sauce. This is an old New Brunswicker’s trick from extracting the maximal flavour from rhubarb by letting it marinate in sugar overnight which pulls the juices from the rhubarb and eliminates the need to add water. The result is an intensely rhubarby-y rhubarb sauce and maintenance of the bright colours.Print
Overnight rhubarb Sauce
Intense rhubarb flavour, decreased simmering time – one delightfully easy sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus overnight marination
- Cook Time: 20 -30 minutes
- Total Time: 53 minute
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Sauces
- Method: preserves
- Cuisine: Canadian
- 8 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place the chopped rhubarb in the saucepan you intend to cook it in.
- Stir in the sugar and leave overnight.
- Bring the rhubarb and liquid to a simmer and cook for about 20 – 30 minutes. Once the juices are a thick syrup, turn off the heat, add the vanilla, let cook and then transfer to storage containers.
You can store the sauce in the refrigerator for up to a week or freezer it in serving portions for up to 6 months.
Keywords: rhubarb sauce