Kismet! The first fresh from the field strawberries arrived at the farmers’ market the same weekend my rhubarb was ready to pick. And, just then Mom called to talk about a new rhubarb recipe with a sour cream base. I liked the sound of that but couldn’t leave the strawberries out and decided to throw in a handful of pistachios for crunch, colour and contrast. Voila – a Strawberry Rhubarb and Pistachio muffin recipe that turned out so well, I’m sharing it here with you.
My family are happily snarfing them down but I’d love to hear what you think. Do let me know if you make them. They’re a great way to celebrate the abundance of the first of spring’s first fruits.Print
Strawberry Rhubarb and Pistachio Muffins
The essence of spring in a muffin. Plus the rich base of sour cream to hold it all together.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 large or 24 small 1x
- Category: Muffins
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or I also like cardamom instead)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup diced rhubarb
- ¾ cup sliced strawberries (plus a few extra sliced for decorating the tops of the muffins)
- ⅓ cup chopped pistachios
- sugar for sprinkling on top pre baking
- Preheat the oven to 400F and grease or line 2 muffin tins.
- Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and use a whisk to mix well. Make a well in the center and set aside.
- Whisk the sour cream, butter, eggs and vanilla in another bowl and then pour into the well you made in the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Pro tip: Do not over mix or the muffins will be tough. Fold in the rhubarb, berries and nuts.
- Drop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, sprinkle the tops with sugar and add a slice of strawberry to the top of each.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched, are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb muffins