I got the inspiration to make these Pistachio Rose Sugar Shortbreads when I bought a jar of Tender Living Farm’s Wild Rose Sugar. Owner Isis Velkova-Andrus forages the Sheep River Valley of Southern Alberta and carefully, sustainably hand picks the wild rose petals each summer.
Alberta is affectionately known as Wild Rose Country because the bushes are so abundant here. The Wild Rose is our provincial flower. So, these cookies truly are a beautiful taste of this place.Print
Pistachio Rose Sugar Shortbreads
Buttery shortbreads with the crunch of pistachios and the beauty of delicate dried wild rose petals make for a beautiful tea time offering.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 60 to 90 minutes of chill time
- Cook Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minute
- Yield: 4 dozen
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups minus 2 Tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
⅓ cup chopped pistachios
4 Tablespoons Wild Rose Sugar (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- Place the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Measure the 2 cups of flour and remove 2 Tablespoons. Add the flour to the mixing bowl and beat until it comes together in a dough. Note: At altitude, this was enough flour, more caused it to be too dry. If you live at a lower altitude and in a humid climate, add more flour if your dough is too sticky.
- Mix in the pistachios and 2 Tablespoons of the Wild Rose Sugar and divide the dough in half.
- Place each half on its own piece of wax paper and form a log. Sprinkle the logs with the remaining Wild Rose Sugar and wrap the paper tightly around it to press the sugar into the dough.
- Refrigerate for 60 to 90 minutes at least. Slice in ⅜ inch slices and place them about an inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Cool on pan for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container. They freeze well.
- Enjoy at tea time.
Keywords: Pistachio Rose Sugar Shortbreads