Vendome and their sister spot, Holy Cow Gelato and Donuts are featured partners in my company Alberta Food Tours’ Alberta Food Finder Self-Guided Food Tour game in Caglary’s Kensington neighbourhood. We love working with them. And, it’s been a treat to get to know Alejandro a bit better.
Really good chefs know how to extract maximal flavour out of any ingredient. They are also frugal. I asked Alejandro for a recipe home cooks could easily make. I asked him for something summer-y.
A Grilled Peach and Kale Salad did not surprise me. The fact that this chef – who has cooked in three star Michelin restaurants – included an option to use canned peaches, if fresh were not available, did surprise me.
Before dismissing the idea, I thought I’d better test it. And, do you know what? My family really enjoyed the salad with grilled canned peaches. I’ll be keeping a can in my pantry from now on. We almost always have some stray greens and a few leftover bits of bacon around. I’ll tuck this recipe into my brain and whip it up when I want to use things up!
Note: This post is NOT sponsored.Print
Grilled Peach and Kale Salad
Chef Buzzalino recommends this flavourful summer salad as an excellent accompaniment to roast chicken (Tip: Use the grocery store as your sous chef to save time!), a grilled steak, or it can be enjoyed on its own as a light summer supper with a glass of white wine on a patio.
Make Ahead Tip: You can keep the salad and dressing (pre made but separate) in the fridge for up to one day ahead. Finish with the dressing just before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Canadian
½ cup cubed bacon (I used 4 strips of thick cut double-smoked bacon)
1 can of peach halves in light syrup (or use 3 fresh peaches if available!)
⅔ cup + 1 Tablespoon olive oil
Freshly ground black peppercorns – to taste
Salt – to taste
2 Tablespoons mint leaves
2 Tablespoons tarragon leaves
⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons honey
8 cups fresh baby kale (chef Alejandro likes Deepwater Farms)
¼ cup grated Sylvan Star Grizzly Gouda (or Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Preheat a grill on high.
- Place the bacon in a frying pan on the grill to start rendering off the fat as the grill pre heats. When the bacon cubes are crispy, drain the fat and set them aside on a paper towel lined plate
- Drain the can of peaches, or if using fresh, cut them in half and remove the pits.
- Brush the peach halves with the 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil and season with the cracked pepper and salt then grill each side on a very hot grill for 30 seconds – just until dark char marks appear.
- Slice the peaches and let them cool in the fridge while you assemble the other ingredients.
- Blend the mint and tarragon leaves with the rice wine vinegar, honey, remaining olive oil in a food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Rinse and dry the kale in a spinner then, place in a nice serving bowl.
- Arrange the peach slices on top, then crumble the bacon over the peaches and spoon the dressing over the salad, making sure each peach is dressed.
- Garnish with the grated gouda and enjoy immediately.
Keywords: Grilled Peach and Kale Salad