These Almond Thumbprint Cookies come from Little Bird Baking’s Abby Reimer. Abby says, “I love this recipe because it’s so versatile. You can substitute vanilla extract for the almond flavour. Or, you can switch out the almond flour with a different nut flour. I use jam in this recipe but you can also fill these cookies with caramel, chocolate, lemon curd…the possibilities are truly endless.”
When I tested Abby’s recipe, my cookies were not pro baker perfectly shaped like hers but, wow! Were they ever tasty. The almond flour gives them a chewy texture and the whole house smelled divine. I used strawberry basil jam, marmalade and orange curd coconut as my fillings. I hope you’ll find a reason to make them soon.Print
Almond Thumbprint Cookies
Crisp and chewy, you can also fill these cookies with caramel, chocolate, lemon curd…the possibilities are truly endless.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 60 minutes rest time for the dough
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 58 minute
- Yield: 16 to 32 cookies depending on the size you like 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1⅓ cup all purpose flour
1 cup almond flour
⅓ to ½ cup jam, curd, caramel, chocolate
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mix and beat on medium until creamy.
- Add the almond extract and beat again to distribute.
- Add the salt and flours and beat until it comes together in a dough.
- Remove from the mixing bowl, form into a ball, cover with wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls (I kept dividing it in half until I had 32 pieces to form into balls) and set a few inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Indent each ball with your thumb or a small measuring spoon. Fill the indent with jam.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy with coffee, tea or a big glass of milk.
Keywords: Almond Thumbprint Cookies