This Caramel Jacks Popcorn is a combination of my favourite treat as a child – Cracker Jacks (minus the surprise treat) and the Poppycock we used to get once a year at Christmas. There’s a little less emphasis on the molasses Cracker Jacks are usually so heavy on. Using less molasses means the caramel is not overpowered by that black strap source of sugar. And instead of pecans, this recipe delivers tons of those fun little Spanish peanuts.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I am. It was breakfast by the fire with my coffee this morning. Happy munching!Print
Caramel Jacks Popcorn
With just a touch of molasses and lots of Spanish Peanuts this treat will remind you of that “take me out to the ball game” favourite – Cracker Jacks but with a little more caramel action!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 30 cups 1x
- Category: Appetizers/Snacks
- Method: saute and bake
- Cuisine: American
7 quarts popped popcorn
2 – 3 cups Spanish peanuts
1 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
½ cup corn syrup
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 200℉ and spray a large roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Fill the roasting pan with the popped popcorn and pecans and set aside.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, molasses and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently then add the vanilla and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Pour the caramel over popcorn and mix well.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 mins.
- Remove from the oven and after the hour is up and make sure to stir as it cools so you don’t end up with one big chunk!
- Package up in goody bags for gifting or store in an airtight container until your next ball game or movie night.
Keywords: Caramel Jacks Popcorn