This Good Old-Fashioned Crumb Cake recipe is for my friend Nancy Wise. Nancy asked me last summer if I had such a thing. I remembered just THE ONE from my childhood. And, I finally remembered to ask my Mom about it.
Mom did a little digging through her scrappy old threadbare cookbooks (isn’t that where all the best recipes are?) and found THE ONE we all loved the best. She found it in the 1998 Charlotte County Girl Guide Fundraiser Cookbook. It came from Mary Frances Sweeney. Bless her. I forgot how easy this Good Olf-Fashioned Crumb Cake is to make.
There’s no need for a stand mixer. Just get out a bowl, a wooden spoon, whisk and square cake pan and you’ll be off to the races. Enjoy it warm straight from the oven. Add a little whipped cream or ice cream if you like.
Now, the question is, will Nancy Wise like it? I sure hope she does. And, as always, I sure hope you do too. We all need some easy recipes that help us savour it all.Print
Good Old-Fashioned Crumb Cake
A light and fluffy pan cake that’s whips up in a flash.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 pieces 1x
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Canadian
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsalted butter (plus more for greasing the pan) at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup sour milk (that’s milk with 1 teaspoon vinegar added)
1 cup of raisins or currants (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with butter.
- Place the flour, butter and sugar in a bowl and use your fingers to rub together until crumbly.
- Remove 1 cup of crumbs and set them aside.
- Stir the baking soda, cloves and cinnamon into the mix, make a well in the center and add the sour milk and egg. Whisk together and fold in the raisins or currants if using.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan, top with the reserved crumbs and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm from the oven if possible. Add whipped cream or ice cream as you please.
Keywords: Good Old-Fashioned Crumb Cake