Every year when fall rolls around I crave this Caramelized and Green Onion Dip. This is when we all start spending a little more time by our hearth and home. It’s easy to put a pan of onions on the stove to slowly caramelize into rich brown flavour bombs. The green onions in this dip add a freshness – a little kiss goodbye to summer.
The batch makes a few cups and if you don’t want to set it all out in one go, it freezes well and is great to have on hand for unexpected guests. Though we primarily crave this with chips as a dip, this Caramelized and Green Onion dip also takes our family’s burger night to a whole new level. I’ve also slathered it on a steak right before serving. And, I think it’d be great with pork chops too. Hope you’ll give it a try. Let me know if you do.Print
Caramelized and Green Onion Dip
A rich caramelized onion dip with bright notes of green onion.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2 cups
- Category: Appetizers/Snacks
- Method: saute
- Cuisine: Canadian
2 large Walla Walla, Vidalia or Yellow onions
3 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
3 squirts Tabasco sauce
1 Tablespoon sherry
8 ounces cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
½ cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
½ cup mayonnaise
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- Cut the onions in half, remove the peelings, leave the root end intact to hold it together and then slice horizontally in ⅛ -inch thick slices (Tip: Slicing thinner will lead them tol dry out and burn).
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat and add the onions, salt and Tabasco. Cover with a lid and fry until the moisture evaporates – about 45 minutes. (Tip: if you try to cook them at a higher heat and faster, you’re more likely to burn them. Patiently percolate along and you’ll be rewarded with golden caramelized onions).
- Pour the sherry into the pan and remove any stuck bits. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Add the caramelized onions and pulse to blend well.
- Add the green onions and fold in by hand with a spatula.
- Empty the dip into a serving dish and top with freshly ground pepper.
- Enjoy with chips or veggies. Belgian endive spears are especially good with this.
Keywords: Caramelized and Green Onion Dip