Prawns and Halibut in Coconut Cream is the first of seven recipes I’ll be posting this week in honour of my great Indian cooking mentor, Noorbanu Nimji. Though Noorbanu was born in Nairobi, she loved trips to Mombasa and the beautiful seafood available there.
This recipe is a favourite of my family. We love it over a bowl of coconut rice – especially during Alberta’s long, cold winters. I hope you’ll give it a try. But you don’t have to wait until winter to savour it all.Print
Prawns and Halibut in Coconut Cream
Juicy prawns and halibut in a succulent coconut cream sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes plus 30 minutes marinating time
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minute
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Fish and Seafood
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: Indian
½ lb large shelled, deveined prawns (about 30 per lb)
½ lb halibut cut in 2-inch pieces – bones removed
For the marinade
1 Tablespoon coconut oil, divided into 1 teaspoon X 3
1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
½ teaspoon Green Chilli Paste – or to taste
½ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon ground cumin
For the sauce
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (14 oz -398mL) can coconut cream
1 Tablespoon finely cut coriander leaves
- Whisk 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil with the garlic and chilli pastes, salt, lemon juice and cumin in a large bowl and add the fish and prawns.
- Mix to coat thoroughly and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the next 1 teaspoon of oil in a wok on medium heat and cook the shrimp until they curl and turn pink. Remove the prawns from the wok and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil and cook and stir the bell peppers until they begin to soften. Remove these and set them aside.
- Add the coconut cream, turmeric and any remaining marinade to the wok and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Add the fish and poach it until it is cooked but still tender.
- Add the reserved shrimp and peppers and cook until they are warmed through again.
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve.
- Enjoy with rice and your favourite chutney.
Keywords: Prawns and Halibut in Coconut Cream