A rich creamy Indian ice cream infused with mango puree for a bright, fresh take on a classic.
Tip: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, after you’ve beaten the ingredients together in a mixer, simply pour them into a shallow dish and freeze till set. Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving, as the end product will have a firmer consistency.
1 (13½ ounce – 370 mL) can evaporated milk
Tip: keep a can of this in the freezer and you’ll be able to make ice cream any time you like.
1 (10½ ounce – 300 mL) can sweetened condensed milk – chilled in the fridge
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
Tip: Use the best quality whipping cream you can find – avoid anything that says “milk ingredients” – you want real cream only.
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1½ cup mango pulp
½ cup finely diced fresh mango
1. Remove the evaporated milk from the freezer and place it for a few minutes in a bowl of boiling hot water – then add it to the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Break it up a bit with a knife and then beat till creamy and smooth.
2. Add the sweetened condensed milk and beat till well mixed.
3. Add the whipped cream and mix again. Now you are ready to create flavours.
4. Add the lemon juice, saffron and mango pulp to the base ingredients in the mixing bowl and beat until thoroughly distributed.
5. Pour the mixture into the bowl of an electric ice cream maker and operate for 20 minutes – adding the fresh mango in the last 5 minutes of processing.
6. Transfer to a storage container and freeze until ready to serve.