Shanghai Scallop-agus might sound like a funny name for a recipe but I think my son was quite young when I developed this recipe. We were all about charms, potions and spells in those days. It was the height of Harry Potter. So, yes, the name Shanghai Scallop-agus was likely influenced by J.K. Rowling.
When you think of some of those classic Harry Potter spells – Expelliarmus, Riddikulus and Expecto Patronum – somehow throwing a bunch of ingredients into a wok, saying “Shanghai Scallop-agus,” doesn’t seem that strange. And, getting a yummy supper as a result does seem like a worthy spell to cast.
All that aside, the first spring asparagus, juicy sea scallops and Shanghai noodles with just the right chewiness are a great combination. Especially when the trio is doused in an aromatic sauce with undercurrents of ginger, sesame and sherry. Let your kitchen tongs be your wand. Be charmed by these wizardly flavours.Print
The Shanghai Noodles do a great job of soaking up this zippy sesame soy sauce while the asparagus adds brightness and the scallops add umami. This is a springtime favourite.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
1 lb sea scallops (rinse and cut the really large ones in half, dry them with a paper towel and set aside)
1 lb fresh asparagus (remove the woody ends, wash under cold water, and cut into uniform, bite-size pieces, dry with a paper towel and set aside)
1 pkg fresh Shanghai noodles (remove noodles from package and place in hot water for 5 minutes to help separate them without breaking them, drain, dry with a paper towel and set aside)
¼ cup sherry
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Sambal Olek chili paste
1 Tablespoon canola oil
2 Tablespoons chopped ginger
6 chopped green onions
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Prepare the scallops, asparagus and noodles as noted above and have them sitting ready in separate bowls.
- Whisk the sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey and Sambal Olek together in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a wok on high (you’ll want your overhead fan on) and when it smokes a bit add the oil and heat it until it reaches its smoke point.
- Stir in the ginger and green onion until fragrant – approximately 10 to 20 seconds.
- Add the scallops to the wok, let them sear on one side and then stir-fry for about 1 minute until they are opaque but not dried out. Remove them to a bowl and keep warm.
- Reheat the wok, add a bit more oil as needed, then add the asparagus and stir-fry until bright green.
- Stir in the prepared sauce, noodles and scallops (with any juices) and turn the ingredients until everything is coated with the sauce and heated through.
- Enjoy immediately garnished with the fresh cilantro.